Monday 2 May 2016

My week

I've had a somewhat crazy ass week. On Monday the 25th April I had a Rheumatology appointment, it was with someone I've never seen before as my consultant is on maternity leave. We sat down did the usual appointment chat about how much pain I'm in and where, when he said that he doesn't think the pain I'm in is arthritis. I don't think this sunk in until Thursday to the honest. Dr Khan said that he thinks I suffer with chronic pain, he wasn't willing to narrow it down more than that. He also said that he thinks the reason I suffer so much with my left knee, is because of the torn cartilage I had seven odd years ago. My knee was actually a little painful on Monday and swollen so he was able to see it slightly inflamed. We agreed to do ultrasounds on my elbows and then go back in 12 weeks, following that we'd look at getting another MRI done. Dr Khan was actually really lovely he said that if we needed to come back sooner than 12 weeks we could, if we need anything at all we just needed to ring the helpline.
On Thursday I rang the helpline. Throughout the week my knee had just got bigger and bigger and more and more painful. By Thursday I knew it had to be drained, this fluid was not going anywhere by itself. I got a call back from the answer phone message I'd left, the call consisted of we can't/won't help you as it may not be arthritis.
I've been under the care of them at the Rheumatology department for around 6 years. How after 6 years can I be left and what feels like chucked to the kerb. After 6 years of them potentially having my diagnosis wrong and them pumping me with all sorts of horrific drugs, I've just been cast aside.
It's now Monday the 2nd of May surprise surprise the swelling has not gone down by itself and my knee is still the side of my head. All week I've been in agony, all week I've been on crutches, all week I've not been able to do simple things like shower or make myself tea. Today my family are at the zoo but I'll stay at home, yesterday my family went to the beach but I stayed at home, Thursday I was meant to go to work but I stayed at home.
This has been exhausting, I went sixteen years of my life believing my body was healthy, I then went the last six years dealing with the fact that I have arthritis to now potentially not having having it at all. Forgetting my maybe misdiagnosis not being able to walk bluddy exhausting both mentally and physically.

No comments:

Post a Comment